Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Romans 1:8-17 Eagerness


8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. 
9 God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 
10 in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God's will the way may be opened for me to come to you.
11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong-- 
12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. 
13 I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles. 
14 I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 
15 That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are at Rome. 
16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 
17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith." Romans 1:8-17 NIV

Paul was an amazing teller. He shared Jesus wherever he went. And many times he endured tremendous hardships to get to people who still didn't know about Jesus. 

And what an amazing story of hope Jesus is to a world who is searching, hungry, and lost in themselves. Some say faith is hard, maybe even impossible for them. I say, how could I not live by faith? Walking in my own judgement and direction is what is impossible.

However, the true question is, "Am I eagerly sharing Jesus the way I should be sharing Him?"

For years I have said I am a discipler, not an evangelist. My gifting is in helping people grow in their faith, not winning them to Christ. We have probably done a disservice to the gospel by making such distinctions. We are all called to share Jesus with others. Some of us have a gifting to do that, but that does not exempt the rest of us from letting others know about the power of the resurrection and the hope they can have through Jesus Christ. The Great Commission is for all of us, not just those who are "gifted."

So how do I share Jesus as a disciple-maker? I live Him every day in front of everyone I meet. I build relationships with people to share the love of Christ. When they feel hopeless, I show them Hope. When they are weak, I point them to the Strength. When they are lonely, I introduce them to a Friend who will never leave them. 

I am not ashamed of the gospel, but I must be sure I'm not living as if I am. Sometimes it's not popular to be a Christ-follower, but I'm not looking for popularity. I want to be a hope-giver like Paul. 

I recently heard Pastor Bob Roberts speak and He said, "You don't have to completely understand what others believe. You have to know the gospel and how to share it in love." 

Lord, help me to live as my heart believes - that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life. Give me boldness to love as you love and to eagerly speak your truth in love to so many who need to hear. So be it.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Consider what is stopping you from sharing Jesus with others. What will you do about those obstacles?
  2. Paul was a bold personality. Who else shared Jesus in the Scriptures who may have been more like you? What can you learn from their life? How can you gain the boldness of Paul?
  3. Read 1 Corinthians 13. Love is the basis of all sharing of the gospel. Are you truly loving others if you are not sharing Jesus?
  4. Read Bob Roberts book, Bold as Love. He talks about how to have a relationship with people of other faiths and belief systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment